Between professional servicing, most fine jewelry can be maintained using a warm, soapy water or soft, damp cloth. Examine your jewelry often to make sure settings are smooth and snug and clasps are secure.
Aucoin Hart offers two jewelry care solutions for your use at home: Polishing cloths for gold and silver and liquid jewelry cleaner. Both polishing cloths and liquid jewelry cleaner are available for purchase in our service department.
Here are some helpful tips:
- When not wearing your jewelry, place it back in the original case or place each item in a separate, soft compartment or container. If cluttered together, jewelry can become scratched (including diamonds).
- Remove your jewelry before bathing. Soap can cause a film to form, making it appear dull or dingy.
- Avoid exposing gold jewelry to household bleach, which can quickly cause gold and other metals to discolor and even worse, disintegrate.
- Remove all jewelry before going into a hot tub or swimming pool. Chlorine can damage and discolor metals such as gold and platinum and can slowly erode the finish of gemstones.
- Avoid heavy blows to your gemstones. Even diamonds, which are the hardest substance known to man, can chip if struck at the right angle.